Enlightening European Responses to Fast and Slow Burning Crises
This Forum is the first integrative event of the Horizon 2020 research project “European Legitimacy in Governing through Hard Times: the role of European Networks” (ENLIGHTEN).
THE H2020 ENLIGHTEN RESEARCH PROJECT
ENLIGHTEN explores a novel framework to answer the question: “MORE EUROPE - LESS EUROPE?” as articulated in the first section of the EURO-4 Call on European Integration of the European Commission’s Horizon 2020 Research Framework Programme.
ENLIGHTEN's TRANSVERSAL QUESTION is how the European governance architecture (modes of governance; expert networks; policy instruments and legitimizing narratives) born from the recent crisis shaped:
- Short and Long-term dynamics of stability and change in ideas?
- Forms of knowledge applied to fast and slow-burning crises?
- Discourses developed in response to fast and slow-burning problems?
POLICY FIELDS COVERED BY ENLIGHTEN (chosen because they function as important signifiers of the implementation, effectiveness and legitimacy of the European governance architecture) are:
- Banking crisis and fiscal sustainability;
- Deficit Reduction and continuity of public services;
- and Youth employment and inclusive growth.
THE PRESENT FORUM
THE SPECIFIC PURPOSE OF THIS FORUMis to instigate dialogue and foster questions shared by the different participating communities.
ITS EXPECTED OUTCOME is to inform the future ENLIGHTEN research activities, and to broaden the outlook of those engaged in the decision-making processes.
ITS PRODUCTS will include research briefs which will be fed into the upcoming project’s scientific activities.